Here are just some of our Sanctuary Dogs, our wonderful resident woofa's.
These dogs have been given a last chance and have a safe, happy, loving place here with us; this is thier forever home at last. We have c100 permanent residents which are a mixture of Romanian and UK dogs, some abandoned, abused and thrown away and some pound dogs who simply ran out of time and which we saved by providing a place here with us. Most have behavioural problems and/or disabilities but that just makes them extra special to us. When possible, they are matched into packs and have a wonderful, easy, stress free life here on our hill where they get to be what they need to be....just happy dogs.
Housing, feeding and caring for them all comes at a hefty price and we continually actively fundraise for them. If you would like to sponsor any of them, even a pound a week would help us to feed and care for them. You can make a donation to either a specific dog from the list below or one you have read about on our blog or facebook pages or you can just send a little something for all of them. Thank you for caring x
*click the pics for larger images*
Tilica came to us needing a forever home as a domestic environment was not suiting him. He lives with his best friend Lisa who is also human scared and they brave the world together as a pair.
My name is Archie......I am broken... Even though I don't want to I hurt myself, I chase and bite my tail, I chew my legs and I bite people....I spend every hour of the day anxious and scared
My name is Dozer....I am two years old and I was just another dog, another unwanted dog who didn't have a good start, another face, another sad boy with a sad story and a bad past.
Dave was saved from the pound by Nicola Brooks-Belcher and Joy who took him jointly as we felt his human and dog aggression issues may need sanctuary. He came to the Sanctuary a few months back now
Our Angel Gabriel was about as abused as a dog can get when he was found in Millfield, Sunderland in February last year. He was literally an emaciated bag of bones with cigarette burns on his face
Gus is a Spanish Mastin, he was found at the side of a road. He had been severely beaten and his head was a mass of deep wounds which were crawling with maggots. He was given vet treatment
The gorgeous Bessie came to us several months ago from her rescue BRNGB with some marked issues and general reactive behaviour with humans. With diligent work she has done really well and she is overall
Maisie is a permanent Sanctuary girl who came to us in April. She came from an abusive background and needed us badly. She was such a scared girl, at first she slept a lot, tucked up and hidden away under her duvets.
Harry is a gorgeous 6 year old spaniel who needed some work with multiple and complex issues. He was an energetic boy, yet very polite. Adored ball games, walks and generally being out and about
Our sanctuary places are precious and we will only consider the most desperate dogs for permanent places, usually the ones that no one else will touch due to behaviour issues and here is one of those boys.
Mr Beau Jangles
Beau's history is sketchy, his body is covered in scars and he has a badly docked tail. We suspect he has been used as a bait dog given the extent of his scars and we think he's had quite a few knocks to the head.
Samson is a 7m staffy x JRT. This little lad with such a big name is 99 percent of the time a normal excitable puppy but the other 1 percent is a relentless biter that has sadly been taught
Meet Danny, he is an SOS Rehab boy who is now a Sanctuary lad. He started as a poundie and was very human scared. He was in foster but really struggled with his human fear and anxiety.
Chloe is a 4 year old Dogue De Bordeaux. Due to reaction issues she was bounced around a bit and needed the peace, space and expertise of the sanctuary. She has done really well but for now the sanctuary will remain her home.
Little Ruby is a staff pup, she has a medical condition which prevented her from getting a foster or a rescue space and was bouncing all over FB until Joy offered her a home. As you can see, she is very happy here
Meet Dexter, an american bulldog and our resident tank! He did not get to see the big wide woofa world much and so has poor understanding and no dog communication skills but he loves cuddles